Re: Generating the ChangeLog files from the commit messages

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Generating the ChangeLog files from the commit messages
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 08:15:01 -0800

Jorgen Schaefer wrote:
Is there at least some consensus to merge the various ChangeLog
files into a single one, though?

No, sorry, Stefan didn't like that idea much. FWIW, he was more positive about generating ChangeLogs automatically.

I can think of one improvement here, though, which we can make regardless of whether ChangeLogs are generated automatically. For changes that affect files in different directories, I'd like to put the corresponding commit message into the ChangeLog at the closest ancestor to all the directories, instead of breaking the message into pieces and scattering it into little ChangeLog bits here and there that have to be pieced together later if I want to understand the change. That would make my life easier, for both writing and reading the source code.