Re: Recording the date at which a change was pushed to Savannah

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Recording the date at which a change was pushed to Savannah
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 08:48:22 -0500

> If I've understood correctly, "the date that a change was applied to the
> Emacs repository on Savannah" is not something that is recorded.

Indeed.

> Is it worth implementing that, or should I give up my quaint, naive
> desire to know "when did X happen"?

I don't think it's worth it.  Because of the "fast-forward-only"
constraint, if you have commit C1, C2, C3, coming from unrelated people,
while we don't know exactly when each one of them was pushed we do know
that commit C2 was *pushed* before commit C3 was *created* and similarly
commit C1 was *pushed* before commit C2 was *created*.  So the "push"
can be reasonably well approximated by the commit time, tho doing it
programmatically is probably hard.

        Stefan