Re: Bidirectional text and URLs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Bidirectional text and URLs
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 09:44:17 -0500

  > The first one sounds pretty complicated.  I need to think about its
  > feasibility.  It could require analysis of a very large chunk of
  > buffer text, at least in theory.

Doesn't each paragraph do bidi separately?  If so, at most this requires
analyzing one paragraph before and after the region.

                                      What's more, the UBA specifies how
  > to reorder text given the contents, but not how to do the reverse.

How does this relate to what I proposed?  I don't see it so I suspect
a misunderstanding.

  > Anyway, what's more important: you can have 2 without 1.

I don't understand what that would mean.

  >   The trick is
  > to capture the visual order of the text you want to copy (can be done
  > by looking at the current glyph matrix), and then create a string
  > whose logical order is identical to the captured visual order,

That seems more complicated and less desirable.  For the job I have in
mind, it is more elegant to COPY the text in question into the
message.  But one needs to make sure it will display the same in this
new context as in the original context.  That's what the proposed
feature is for.

The facility you propose here might be useful too, for other purposes.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation