Re: Bidirectional text and URLs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Bidirectional text and URLs
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 13:28:40 +0200

> Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 06:16:22 -0500
> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> Do we need any new features to make it possible to show
> how the strange bidi text would really be interpreted?

Not sure I understand what you mean here, but if I do, then this is up
to applications, because only they know the meaning of a particular
piece of displayed text and its interpretation.

> I think the feature you proposed, which would examine how text is
> actually displayed and represent that with text that is
> straightfoward, may be useful too.

Again, not sure what proposition you allude to here.  Doesn't
buffer-substring-with-bidi-context already do that?  If not, what is
missing?