Re: Multi-line input

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Multi-line input
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2014 23:24:05 +0700

On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 8:03 AM, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Other problematic place where S-RET could help to insert a newline
>> is shell input.
>
> As mentioned earlier, I'm not convinced S-RET is a great idea, since
> I think it's more beneficial to get people to learn about C-q.

C-q is one thing, S-RET is another.

It *is* a great idea. All Internet chat programs have standardized on
it — Enter sends the current contents of the message entry area,
Shift+Enter adds a newline. (Some provide a user preference to swap
these.) And shell prompts and Emacs minibuffer are basically chats
with the user on one side and the interpreter on the other.