Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 14:19:14 +0200

> Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2014 05:54:33 -0500
> From: "Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden>
>
> > org-mode.
>
> To be fair, that does look like a more viable technical choice than when
> first I raised the issue.  But I still have a concern that we would fail in
> the
> ultimate goal of the change if the outside reaction is "Emacs tribe off
> doing its own insular thing again".  I think we need a choice that faces
> outwards, not inwards.

IMO, it should be our firm assumption that whoever works on
Emacs-related documentation does that in Emacs.  Not in vim, not in
Notepad, not in gedit, in Emacs.  I have hard time imagining a
documentation contributor who is not him/herself an Emacs user.

If that's our assumption, then using some Emacs mode is a no-brainer,
and it is not an insular thing, as far as we are concerned.

Personally, my only doubts about Or mode being an alternative are
related to (1) how easy it is to learn that stuff, and (2) the
performance we will get from the translator to whatever back-end
format we will decide to adopt.

(I do use Org, but not in these areas, so I don't know the answers to
those questions.)