Re: Patch queue management systems

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Patch queue management systems
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 00:10:12 +0100

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> My wishlist for a patch queue management system (PR/pull request system
> for those familiar with the Github model):
>
> * targeted hydra builds for a specific branch
>
> * a click-and-done way to merge a specific branch into master or emacs-24
>
> * maybe a comment system
>
> * maybe debbugs integration (but I do hate debbugs... really hate it...)

I like debbugs better than any other bug tracking system I've used.
Because it's in Emacs.  :-)  `/ tls' and there all the TLS-related bugs
are.

But it does need more features to make it possible to type less when
applying patches.  A one-keystroke command to apply the patch, put the
bug number into the ChangeLog, and do a "make" in a buffer to see
whether any compilation warnings are generated, as well as a one-touch
"make the commit message and check this stuff in" command.

So, a one-key solution to apply and test a patch, and a one-key solution
to checking it in.

It's doable if somebody feels like doing it.

As for tracking appliable patches, debbugs already offers that with the
"patch" and "pending" tags.