Re: master c6f03ed: Fix a problem in url.el without GnuTLS

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: master c6f03ed: Fix a problem in url.el without GnuTLS
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 20:41:53 +0100

Ted Zlatanov writes:
> But I still think generally, cherry-picks are easier to manage and
> harder to screw up.

Cherry-picks are *terrible* to manage. Git tries a bit to do that,
either be giving you tools to record additional information in the
commit log (see the '-x' option of cherry-pick), or by using patch-id's,
but all of that stuff pretty much falls apart when you have conflicts,
so it's nothing you can really rely on (especially not us, because of
ChangeLogs).

> The gitmerge.el workflow is basically a sequence of cherry-picks.

No, that's precisely what gitmerge.el avoids. It is a sequence of
merges.

-David