Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 21:26:43 +0900

Richard Stallman writes:

 > We want to write something short such as `info:emacs' to refer to the
 > Emacs manual.

Why?  I don't think either the browser maintainers or the IETF will be
particularly interested in an info: scheme since it's really a
document format rather than a transport.  If it's not widely
implemented, it will only be useful in the context of a specialized
InfoML-reading application.  In that case, just "emacs" is shorter.

 > As for the local HTTP server, getting these results wiht it might
 > be complicated since it might be doing other jobs.

I don't see why it would.  HTTP servers are cheap and easy to build,
and you can have a bunch of application-specific httpds running on any
modern system without any noticable resource impact.