Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 10:37:53 -0500

  > What you call "pressure", I see as advocacy.

It is both.

I am not going to decide based on anyone's "advocacy".  I intend to
look at the issues carefully and see what conclusions really follow
from them.

  > Does Clang's popularity inform your decision-making process?

Not in the way you want it to.

You demand I draw certain specific conclusions from that, and take
certain actions.  I can see other possible conclusions to draw from
the same facts.

  > I've seen
  > no evidence in this thread that you're considering the broader social
  > context.

You won't see it here.  Your kind of "advocacy" is no help to me in
making the right decision.  I'm not going to take counsel from people
who are trying to pressure me.

  > Do we need to repeat this process every few years and every time someone
  > thinks of a new way to integrate GCC and Emacs?

You don't "need" to do anything about this.  It is not your
responsibility, and you are not by boss.

I have now quoted three successive insults from your message.

I'm not interested in discussing a difficult decision with someone who
treats me as you do.  Rather, I will wait, forget about what you have
said, and then make an unprejudiced decision after consulting others
whose advice I value.  This will take time.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation