Re: vc-dir default directory: repository root?

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: vc-dir default directory: repository root?
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 10:19:55 -0500

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> On 01/21/2015 07:33 PM, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
>
>>> We don't really know what "most people like".
>
> We do know that a whole lot of people consider Magit to be the best
> thing since sliced bread. It does not provide such functionality, and
> I don't see anyone asking.
>
> With prefix, it allows you to choose a different repository.
>
>> That's not quite true, I wrote vc-dir.el in 2007, mostly to deal better
>> with git and hg project, "project root" was quite well known at a time.
>
> If the main purpose of vc-dir is to deal with modern systems better,
> we should better follow their conventions.

The proposal is taking away a feature that some people like (including
myself).  Simply taking away something that has been available from day 1
without considering offering alternatives is not nice to users.  Appeals
to authority, or talking about "modern" do not hold any water in such cases.

Please reconsider your approach.

I've already provided 3 alternatives that can help provide what you
desire: use a "Root" header, put the root directory in the history or
use C-u C-x v d.   Or do something else even better...