Re: vc-dir default directory: repository root?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: vc-dir default directory: repository root?
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 19:48:48 +0200

On 01/21/2015 07:33 PM, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:

We don't really know what "most people like".

We do know that a whole lot of people consider Magit to be the best thing since sliced bread. It does not provide such functionality, and I don't see anyone asking.

With prefix, it allows you to choose a different repository.

That's not quite true, I wrote vc-dir.el in 2007, mostly to deal better
with git and hg project, "project root" was quite well known at a time.

If the main purpose of vc-dir is to deal with modern systems better, we should better follow their conventions.

I provided an alternative suggestion: make C-u C-x v d default to the
root directory, or something to put it in history.

That's not good. 'C-u' should mean "I want to choose", and no prefix should mean "do the best possible thing", which is to use the repository root, since there's no obvious other choice.

I'd propose a patch like that, but vc-dir already changes behavior with prefix, and in a different way (allows to select the backend). Not sure how best to combine the two.