Re: using commit identifiers in bug reports

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: using commit identifiers in bug reports
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 19:06:58 +0200

On 01/23/2015 06:21 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

        Or, in my case: “as of last week, Emacs…,” right?

No, that already might be interpreted as "starting from last week".
Perhaps even my suggestion above might.  So how about "with the
current trunk, Emacs does this and that"?

That might be a British vs American English issue.

The prevalent opinion seems to be "as of" means "at the moment of":

http://painintheenglish.com/case/4162

But some distinguish between "as of" and "as at":

http://painintheenglish.com/case/4162/#comment-22366

(whereas I don't remember seeing "as at" at all before).

Also: http://blog.harwardcommunications.com/2012/04/02/as-of/

That opinion states that the ambiguity should be resolved by the context. If it doesn't, I'd say the most general meaning should be considered (the state of affairs at that moment was...)

>>        My point is that there’s no easy way to request Git to report
>>        the commits (changes) made since a bug report was filed.
>
> Why do you need that?

That can be useful to the person working on that bug report.

Personally, seeing the exact hash instead of "current trunk" makes me more confident that the reporter indeed is using the current trunk build.