Re: Multiple checkout copies

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: Multiple checkout copies
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2015 09:48:44 +0100

Richard Stallman writes:
>   > A slightly different version of the above will save disk space by using
>   > hard links to files in the original repository:
>   >  git clone emacs emacs-24
>   >  cd emacs-24
>   >  git checkout emacs-24
>
> Thanks.  Maybe that is what I want to do.
>
> My idea is to do my editing in the 'emacs' directory, as well as
> pulling updates there.  So these points seem like features rather than
> bugs.

The safest (but a bit more long-winded) way of dealing with simultaneous
work on multiple branches is IMHO this setup (per example doing work on
master and emacs-24):

$ git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git --bare emacs.git
$ git clone emacs.git/ emacs-master
$ git clone emacs.git/ emacs-24
$ cd emacs-24 ; git checkout emacs-24 ; cd ..

This way there's only a single repository to push upstream from (which
also makes it a bit easier to check what you intend to push).  Making
this bare ensures you don't do any other work on this repo.  You only
need to be connected to the internet for updating this repo and can
air-gap otherwise (or work through a firewall).  Last but not least, all
clones made from that single bare repo all have the same configuration,
so you don't need to remember which one is upstream of the other.

The downside is that you must always update in two steps when pulling
(emacs.git from savannah, then the working repo from emacs.git).
However, this is easily scripted or made an alias.  Pushing also has to
be done in two steps, just the other way around.  I personally see this
as an advantage, since it gives you another check-point before things go
public and become essentially immutable.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER: