Re: Cairo branch.

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Cairo branch.
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 21:51:39 +0100

Hi.

> 12 feb 2015 kl. 21:06 skrev Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>:
>
>> From: "Jan D." <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 20:17:34 +0100
>> Cc: address@hidden,
>> address@hidden
>>
>>> Another interesting issue is whether we want to use Cairo on Windows
>>> as well, and eventually drop the w32-specific display back-end.
>>
>> You have to separate the event and system interaction from the rendering in
>> w32, but also in the X backend so to have a pure resuable cairo rendering
>> code base.  Right now its all kind of mixed in.
>
> Not sure I'm following: could you elaborate about them being mixed?  I
> seem to remember that they are separate, at least in w32.  In
> particular, event input is in a separate thread, while drawing happens
> in the main thread, I think.

The rendering code and the event handling code are in the same file usually
(XXterm.c).
They might be logically separated or logically independent.  We are also using
GC:s in the core drawing routines, or an emulation of GC:s, but they are really
an X system thing.  There are other X-isms that a pure renderer has to deal
with.

        Jan D.