Re: Contributing LLVM.org patches to gud.el

From: Tom
Subject: Re: Contributing LLVM.org patches to gud.el
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 10:11:25 +0000 (UTC)

Perry E. Metzger <perry <at> piermont.com> writes:

> It might not per se necessary that Emacs have access to the AST in
> textual form. If GCC or part of GCC could be called as a library from
> within Emacs to access the AST via an API, that might be sufficient.

I wonder how big is the actual C/C++ parsing code in GCC. If it
can be extracted it could even be linked statically with emacs.
Sure, in this case it would not be always the latest code, it
should  be updated at every emacs release, but it would still
provide a far superior AST feature than what currently is available
in emacs.