Re: Updated eudcb-mab.el

From: Danie Roux
Subject: Re: Updated eudcb-mab.el
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 21:56:16 +0200

Hi Thomas,

Please find attached a new version and a sql file.

Thomas Fitzsimmons <address@hidden> writes:
> Danie Roux <address@hidden> writes:
>> I've updated eudcb-mab.el to directly query the contacts database,
>> instead of using an external application.
>
> It looks like you're still relying on an external application, sqlite3,
> instead of "contacts", right?

Yes, thank you for picking that up. By external I meant "no additional
software".

> It probably makes sense to change eudcb-mab in the way you're
> suggesting rather than providing a new backend eudcb-mab-sqlite,
> right?

Yes.

> Is this patch backward compatible with the "contacts" format?  If not,
> do you have a sense for how common the "contacts" format is these
> days?  Would it make sense to obsolete the contacts format and support
> only the sqlite3 format in Emacs 25?

That would be my suggestion. I have no feel for how many people use the
"contacts" external application. This should be a seamless change
because it was never possible to set the location or the format to the
"contacts" application

>> Please find the changed version attached.
>
> Are you able to provide a test database file with example data and a
> test procedure for using it for completion?  That would be a useful
> addition.  I haven't been able to test the MAB backend myself because I
> don't have access to a Mac OS or GNUstep system.

Please find attached an anonymized and stripped contacts.sql file to be
used:

$ sqlite3 /tmp/test-contacts.db < contacts.sql

And:

(setq eudc-contacts-file "/tmp/test-contacts.db")
(eudc-set-server "dummy" 'mab t)

In a scratch buffer: (eudc-mab-sqlite3-dump-mac-addressbook)

Searching for "Richard" or "Anton" should be interesting:

(eudc-query-form)

No. I'm not in the US. Do I just email copyright-clerk@ ?

--
Danie Roux