Re: VC mode and git

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 12:37:14 -0400

Richard Stallman <address@hidden>:

> I think that C-x v v, when it commits changes, should also push them.
> This would make git more comparable to other version control systems.
>
> Does anyone see a reason not to?

Yes. It would mean VC mode could not be used to work on private development
branches.

An important part of many DVCs workflows is that you can make experimental
changes that users of whatever shared repository your pushes go to don't see.

It is common for people to try a risky modification that may consist of
multiple commits, test it privately, then push the series when the code
has reached a stable and well-tested state. Sometimes this fails, and
you need to revert to the last publicly visible state.

If every commit did a push, this option would go away. The friction cost
of experimenting would go up.  A lot of people would be forced to abandon
using C-X v v as a routine thing and have to go outside Emacs to do commits.
It's not a good idea.