Re: EWOULDBLOCK and EINPROGRESS in process.c

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: EWOULDBLOCK and EINPROGRESS in process.c
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 16:42:00 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Can someone tell why we need that "#else" there?

The EWOULDBLOCK code is there because Kim Storm heard a rumor that some oddball nonblocking 'connect' implementations returned EWOULDBLOCK. Please see:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2002-02/msg00718.html

I also vaguely recall stories that some old Unix platforms did that. The most recent reference I found in a quick Google search was UnixWare 7 Release 7.1.4 (April 2004):

http://uw714doc.sco.com/en/SDK_netapi/sockC.nonBlockSocks.html

If that documentation is right, the current Emacs code wouldn't work on UnixWare 7.1.4, not that we care.