Re: VC mode and git

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 15:52:07 -0400

> I have not yet seen a definitive answer about whether git reset is a
> reliable fix for that.

I think it is, but it should be "git reset --soft HEAD^", which AFAIK is
the way to spell "uncommit" in Git (where "uncommit" to me means to
do just the reverse of commit, i.e. just like commit it shouldn't touch
the files's contents, only the metadata).

> Can the repository itself have a file that directs git to run a shell
> command after pushing?

Depends what you mean by "repository".  Your local Git clone is
a repository.  So the hooks discussed here would indeed be placed in
your repository.  But I don't think there's a way to change Emacs's
git.sv.gnu.org repository such that when you clone it, you automatically
get such hooks.

        Stefan