Re: VC mode and git

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 23:35:38 +0900

Sebastien Vauban writes:
 > Alan Mackenzie wrote:

 > > With git pull, if there are changes in the working directory, the
 > > merge (i.e. merge from remote/master into master) part of the
 > > operation is aborted before it starts, giving a message describing its
 > > refusal.  It does this even when there are no conflicts to deal with.
 >
 > What are we supposed to do in that case, if we're not yet ready to
 > commit our files?

If you have work-in-progress and feel unable to commit, but at the
same time feel the need to pull into that workspace, I suggest you get
up and walk around, fight off the pull urge, then finish the commit
after your head cools off.

If that isn't satisfactory, then

 > or putting our work into a new branch, like:

 > git checkout -b new-branch-name
 > git commit -a -m "Edited"
 > git checkout master
 > git pull

is one way to go.  Another possibility is creating a new workspace,
with cp -a or similar.

If you need the pulled code for your work, then a quick stash is the
better idea.