Re: VC mode and git

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 17:34:41 +0200

Andreas Schwab wrote:
Richard Stallman<address@hidden>  writes:

It usually takes weeks from when I write a change to when I check it
in to Savannah.  To check them in, I must first get the latest changes
from Savannah.  If I can't do a pull in that state, how can I ever
check them in?

Check them in, then pull.  It's as simple as that.

But Richard just said that “checking in”‚ to him, means putting it in the central repository.

A better phrasing is: Commit, then pull. Committing is a local operation. Checking in, as Richard sees it, is pushing.

Actually, I think “checking in” isn't even in the git vocabulary. Better not to use the term in order to avoid confusion.

– Harald