Re: Calling (package-initialize) sooner during initialization

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: Calling (package-initialize) sooner during initialization
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 16:40:58 +0100

> That sounds like a simple and straight-forward approach that's not too
> invasive or too magic.  Would that not work?

For the purpose of custom.el, yes, that would be enough.
The reason I started this discussion was to reach a more general
solution. And if we solve this more general issue, it should solve the
custom.el problem as well.

Pasting elisp snippets into your init file is a perfectly valid way of
customizing packages. Actually, nevermind “customizing”. Even the
installation instructions of most packages include a “add the
following to your init-file”.

I guess some might say that such people who paste snippets into their
init file might as well learn to paste “(package-initialize)” along
with it. But it's not fair to punish newbies for just following the
Emacs culture. I'd rather fix this issue for good, at its source, than
having to keep explaining this to people for years to come.