Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 4e23cd0 4/5: * mail/rmail.el (rmail-show-messag

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 4e23cd0 4/5: * mail/rmail.el (rmail-show-message-1): When displaying a mime message,
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 10:43:41 +0300

> Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 01:50:25 -0400
> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
>     > It is a good idea to examine what you are about to push, before
>     > actually doing so, because fixing mistakes before pushing is much
>     > easier (see the next section). To do that, use the command "git diff
>     > origin/master". If you want to show your unpushed commits with their
>     > commit log messages, use "git show origin/master.." instead.
>
> It is not clear to me how these two differ.  Does "git show origin/master.."
> output everything that "git diff origin/master" outputs, plus log messages?

Yes, that's the only real difference between them, when you have no
uncommitted changes.  (When you do have uncommitted changes, "git
diff" will include them, while "git show" will not.)

> What are the two periods for?

That's because "git show" expects a range of commits to show, and the
two dots are part of specifying a range.  The full spec of what you
want is "origin/master..HEAD", where HEAD stands for the last commit
in your local branch, but HEAD can be omitted for shorthand purposes.

By contrast, "git diff" takes a single commit argument, and displays
the diffs between the working tree and that commit.

Do you think it would be best to keep only "git show" there and delete
the reference to "git diff"?