Re: Stash

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Stash
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2015 13:06:49 +0100

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 12:56 PM, Yuri Khan <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 5:30 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>> Is there a reason why you don't mention 'gitk' in GitQuickStartForEmacsDevs?
>>
>> I don't want to assume gitk is installed, nor that the Git commands
>> are invoked from a sufficiently capable terminal.
>
> A git browser (especially a graphical, point-and-clicky one) is an
> immensely useful tool in understanding and learning Git. And gitk is
> the one that has the best chance of being installed, or easiest to
> install. (Most other git browsers are platform-specific.)
>
> Alternatively, Emacs could include a git browser. (Magit already does;
> I don’t know about vc.)
>

> A git browser is most useful if directed to show not only the current
> branch but also the associated remote tracking branch, e.g. (assuming
> a POSIX shell):
>
> $ gitk HEAD $(git rev-parse --symbolic-full-name @{u}) &

A command like

git log --graph --pretty=format:'%Cred%h%Creset%n' \
     --abbrev-commit --date=relative --branches --all

or a more sophisticated variation thereof should be readily portable
and provides at least some visualization of the graph.

This particular one stolen from

    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7007758/how-to-drawedit-an-ascii-git-tree

but I've seen other versions that name branches and labels

--
João Távora