Re: map.el and naming

From: John Mastro
Subject: Re: map.el and naming
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 14:44:25 -0700

Nicolas Petton <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I'm working on another library similar to seq.el but for maps (alists
> > and hash-tables for now).
> >
> > I have an issue with naming regarding mapping over keys/values of a
> > map. I thought about calling `map-map' the function that would map over
> > the keys and values of map, and `map-map-keys' the function that would
> > map over the keys of a map, etc.
> >
> > This is really ugly to my eyes, as there is map the name and map the
> > verb.  Does anyone have a better idea?
>
> I'm back with this issue.  Since I have "map" both as a verb and as a
> name, and because I don't want to call "mapping" something else, I think
> I'll go with renaming the library.

How about "mapping.el"? Not a verb, as in "mapping over a list", but
rather a noun, as in "a hash table (or an association list) is a mapping
from keys to values."

So you would have e.g. `mapping-map' and `mapping-map-keys'. It loses
some of the nice concision of "map" (and of course "map" still shows up
twice), but it doesn't seem too bad to me.

--
john