Re: vc-dwim when nothing to commit (was: VC mode and git)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: vc-dwim when nothing to commit (was: VC mode and git)
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 10:39:15 +0300

> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 21:38:55 -0400
>
> Now, `vc-runthis' (name can be changed) will initially present "git
> push" in the minibuffer with history, for a Git repo. So if I previously
> said "git push myrepo onebranch:otherbranch" that's the command that
> shows up. I edit it, then hit `RET' and it runs. Or I don't want it and
> hit `C-g'. Or I move back in the history to a previous command.

Could be a good idea, assuming the presented command will never
include tricky switches that the user didn't use in one of the
previous commands.  Otherwise, the presented command will be another
riddle, which IMO flies in the face of the design and purpose of
vc-next-action.

Of course, bonus points for guessing the next command (not necessarily
"git push") given the previous one and the existence of telltale files
below .git/.  That would be much more in line with the spirit of
vc-next-action, IMO.

Unfortunately, we don't seem to have an active maintainer of VC, in
particular in the Git area, so Git support in VC remains rudimentary
and at times buggy (e.g., see bug#20292, which remains without any
response, let alone fix).  And since most sophisticated Git users seem
to use magit anyway, I see no hope for having vc-git fixed any time
soon.

> For such a simple thing, a lot of arguing over semantics and
> technicalities...

And no practical result, except perhaps GitQuickStartForEmacsDevs,
which is probably not read anyway.