Re: vc-dwim when nothing to commit

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: vc-dwim when nothing to commit
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 06:22:37 -0400

On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 10:39:15 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

>> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
>> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 21:38:55 -0400
>>
>> Now, `vc-runthis' (name can be changed) will initially present "git
>> push" in the minibuffer with history, for a Git repo. So if I previously
>> said "git push myrepo onebranch:otherbranch" that's the command that
>> shows up. I edit it, then hit `RET' and it runs. Or I don't want it and
>> hit `C-g'. Or I move back in the history to a previous command.

EZ> Could be a good idea, assuming the presented command will never
EZ> include tricky switches that the user didn't use in one of the
EZ> previous commands.  Otherwise, the presented command will be another
EZ> riddle, which IMO flies in the face of the design and purpose of
EZ> vc-next-action.

Any kind of shell history has that feature (or problem, depending on
your point of view). I think it's a reasonable compromise.

EZ> Of course, bonus points for guessing the next command (not necessarily
EZ> "git push") given the previous one and the existence of telltale files
EZ> below .git/.  That would be much more in line with the spirit of
EZ> vc-next-action, IMO.

Right, so the history would be per repository and the very first initial
guess would be "git push" usually?  I would use that.

Unless there's a strong protest, I can try implementing a first cut of
this. I like that it fills a void, where you say "DWIM" after a Git
commit and VC goes "huh? go away!" :)

EZ> Unfortunately, we don't seem to have an active maintainer of VC, in
EZ> particular in the Git area, so Git support in VC remains rudimentary
EZ> and at times buggy (e.g., see bug#20292, which remains without any
EZ> response, let alone fix).  And since most sophisticated Git users seem
EZ> to use magit anyway, I see no hope for having vc-git fixed any time
EZ> soon.

That's unfortunate.  I use both, but VC is definitely more convenient
for "smaller" interactions.  Magit tends to be an all-day workflow.

Ted