Re: save-excursion and the mark

From: Frank Fischer
Subject: Re: save-excursion and the mark
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 12:03:44 +0200

Am 23.02.2015 um 05:44 schrieb Stefan Monnier:

> `save-excursion' is defined to save&restore the mark (as well as its
> being active or not).
>
> But I'm having a hard time finding a piece of code where we actually
> make use of this.  Can someone point me to such code (either in Emacs or
> in some external package)?  I.e. point me to code which would misbehave
> if save-excursion were to stop saving&restoring the mark (and/or its
> activation status).

It's probably a little late but that change just caused a bug in the
evil-mode package. Because Evil does deal a lot with the user interface
it sometimes plays around with point and mark.

Currently it's only one place, I can fix that easily. But I have no idea
if we rely on the old behaviour in other places.

However, I can live with the new behaviour, it just took me some time to
find out what causes that bug ;)

Best regards,
Frank