Re: Is it time to remove INTERNAL_FIELD?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Is it time to remove INTERNAL_FIELD?
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 18:07:20 +0300

> From: Oleh Krehel <address@hidden>
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 09:39:10 +0200
>
> > Unless the concurrency branch is officially and finally dead, I'd like
> > to keep the underscores, to make it easier to revive that branch, if
> > and when some volunteer emerges.
>
> I think that a good start towards concurrency is making the code as
> simple as possible. Removing INTERNAL_FIELD is a tiny step towards that
> goal.

I'm not against removing INTERNAL_FIELD.  I was only talking about
keeping the code that appends the underscores to fields in buffer and
keyboard structures where we were doing that with INTERNAL_FIELD.

> Perhaps, removing some other abstraction mechanisms that don't actually
> do anything yet (but potentially could be useful in the future) would
> also be good. Concurrency would come with its own abstractions, I think
> the old ones would just get in the way.

We append the underscores not as some abstraction, but as an aid to
catch early code that will interfere with merging the concurrency
branch.

> Should I update the patch to include the underscores everywhere?

Not everywhere, only where the fields are used in BVAR and KVAR.

Thanks.