Re: serving ELPA over HTTP/S

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: serving ELPA over HTTP/S
Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 10:53:24 -0400

On Mon, 04 May 2015 10:22:06 -0400 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

>> What would it take to switch the GNU ELPA to HTTP/S?
SM> Nothing.  As you've seen it already just works.

Sorry, I meant "switch users to use the GNU ELA over HTTP/S."

I listed several items; do you think none of those are required?

SM> If you mean "what would it take to make Emacs use the "https" protocol
SM> by default?" then the answer is:

SM> not very much.  You just need to make sure it still works when the
SM> running Emacs does not support TLS.

Define "it works."

We can switch to an external binary for the data transfer, for instance.
But is that better than asking the user to enable the GnuTLS integration?
On what supported platforms is it simply not possible?  I don't know.
Are those platforms worth exposing our users to the drawbacks of
installing packages over HTTP?

Thanks
Ted