Re: disabling undo boundaries

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: disabling undo boundaries
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 14:08:56 -0400

> That doesn't really make sense to me. Say I am editing a file in this
> buffer while compiling something in that buffer. Why would I want an
> update in the compilation buffer to force an undo-boundary in this buffer?

It probably won't make any difference in "this buffer" because the
process filter will be run *between* commands (at which point the
read-eval command loop already inserts undo-boundaries anyway).

The difference is in the compilation buffer where it'll insert undo
boundaries every time you run a command in "this buffer".

> Sorry to be persistant about this, but at the moment, changing the code
> in undo.c is the only good solution I can see to my problem.  It would be
> different if explicitally called and automatic boundaries were
> distinguishable, but they aren't.

We could make them distinguishable, OTOH (e.g. using a (weak) hash-table where
we insert every explicitly added undo-boundary).

        Stefan