Re: xref-find-matches and stuff

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: xref-find-matches and stuff
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 18:44:47 +0200

>> OK with me (as long as the frame.c definition comes first).
>
> AFAICS, the order is defined by the order of files submitted to etags
> (i.e. random, from your POV).

You're right.  I was trying with an out-of-tree build where globals.h
does not get into my way because it's in the build's src directory ;-)

>> I never worked with 'make TAGS' before.  Currently it's some sort of
>> pain to use for me, probably because of this
>>
>> ## FIXME? In out-of-tree builds, should TAGS be generated in srcdir?
>>
>> (line 601 of Makefile.in).  Couldn't I direct it somehow to create the
>> TAGS file in the src directory?
>
> I never build outside of the source tree.  Why can't you just move the
> files back into the sources,

I already did that but it's a slight pain because I also have to remove
all those ../../src/ prefixes from the TAGS file.  But I obviously can
automatize that process if there's no better way.

> or invoke the command from within the
> source tree?

I'm not sure what you mean.  The source tree's src directory has no
Makefile so I get make: *** No rule to make target `TAGS'.  Stop.  If I
simply invoke make TAGS from its parent directory make TAGS builds Emacs
in-the-tree which is an even greater pain.

>> Also, is there a way to tell it to not make emacs itself, that is, just
>> build the TAGS files and do nothing else?
>
> Does it still build Emacs if you invoke the command from src/?

See above.

>> OTOH what would my corresponding --regex argument to etags be now when
>> calling etags via shell-command?
>
> With what shell?

On Windows cmd.exe.  Ever since I created my Emacs tags via

(defun my-shell-etags ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((etags (concat exec-directory "etags.exe *")))
    (let ((default-directory (concat default-directory "src/")))
      (shell-command etags))
    (let ((default-directory (concat default-directory "doc/lispref/")))
      (shell-command etags))
    (let ((default-directory (concat default-directory "doc/emacs/")))
      (shell-command etags))))

from the respective source directory.

martin