Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.

From: Nikolai Weibull
Subject: Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 15:02:56 +0200

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 1:40 PM, Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 06/23/2015 06:16 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> As Andreas mentioned before, not every native English speaker is accustomed
> to them, and certainly not most of the people for whom English is not a
> native language.

It’s probably not worth noting, but that can’t possible be true.  Is
someone who sees ‘‘’ going to wonder what that symbol means, whereas
if they see ‘'’ they’ll go “aha!”?  Most languages have quotes in some
form or other and they vary wildly between languages, but I have a
very hard time understanding how anyone, native English reader/writer
or not, could be confused by typesetter’s quotation and not by “ASCII
quotation”.  Given that almost all professionally printed literature
uses real quotation marks, I’d assume that those who are learning
English will also be given the benefit of them (where native English
readers will have seen them in books since they were little).