Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.

From: Nikolai Weibull
Subject: Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 21:51:39 +0200

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 9:21 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 21:05:42 +0200
>> From: Nikolai Weibull <address@hidden>
>> Cc: Brief Busters <address@hidden>, Stephen Turnbull <address@hidden>,
>> address@hidden, address@hidden,
>>       address@hidden, Emacs Developers <address@hidden>
>>
>> > You want to see curved, compare with
>> > Symbola or Lucida Console.

>> So if a user happens to use these fonts they’ll be fine?

> No.

I don’t see why.  I thought that the lack of curvature was why the
user would be confused in regard to DejaVu Sans Mono, but then they
shouldn’t be confused if they use a mono-spaced font with enough
curvature.  But I’ll drop it, as I feel that this is just getting
confrontational for no good reason.

>> > No, I mean that seeing these quotes in scientific and professional
>> > literature won't help, because they are typeset in a very different
>> > typeface there.
>>
>> So they’re expected to be able to read but not be able to see past the
>> minute differences between two symbols (which are their own mirror
>> images, so really only one) in two different typefaces?
>
> They shouldn't be expected to be able to distinguish between
> confusingly similar, but subtly different characters.

Which is probably why most people don’t.