Re: Emacs release and bundling GNU Elpa

From: Barry
Subject: Re: Emacs release and bundling GNU Elpa
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 01:12:16 -0700

Stefan:
> step-3: we change the build scripts again so they always use those
> packages from elpa.git.

What are the essential reasons for having two Git repos rather than one?

Stefan:
> - the end user has to checkout both emacs.git and elpa.git before
>   she can build Emacs (I suspect there will be some resistance,
>   here).

Is the vision that core Emacs could eventually be reduced to the Elisp engine
and other infrastructure, and ELPA constitutes the features? If so, then
shouldn't Emacs in principle be buildable and runnable without ELPA packages,
with the caveat that commands would be missing?

Eli:
> I think the net result will be more bugs because of unsynchronized
> development and less exposure of packages to people who track
> development on master

Right, tracking emacs.git master would hopefully entail tracking elpa.git
master.

Eli:
> Core maintainers will probably start pushing more changes to the
> packages, something I'm not sure package developers will like.

This is a virtue. Package maintainers would be involved in the same way as when
their package is in emacs.git.

Eli:
> We'd need to find a way of providing ChangeLogs for the packages

Duplicates 'git log PACKAGE-DIR'.