Re: A simple solution to "Upcoming loss of usability ..."

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: A simple solution to "Upcoming loss of usability ..."
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 15:41:19 -0700

Dmitry Gutov wrote:
Whatever heuristics we use are likely to be wrong for many real-world
uses in Elisp code.

font-lock rules don't have to be about heuristics. The conversion can be as
straight as we want it to me.

No straightforward conversion will work, I'm afraid.

Many uses of grave accent in Elisp strings,
characters, and comments are intended to be grave accent, not left
quote.  Similarly for apostrophe and right quote.  It's unlikely that
any easy-to-explain heuristic based on font-lock will distinguish among
the uses reliably.

It has been established already that we need an escaping syntax, too.

Sorry, I'm not following. This would be a new escape syntax for Elisp strings? How would it work? For example, would \` and \' have different meaning in strings than they do in character literals? When exactly would these escapes be transformed to user-preferred quote characters? Although I have already explored solutions along these lines and none of them worked well, perhaps you have ideas that will improve them.