cl-defgeneric vs random funcall in project.el

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: cl-defgeneric vs random funcall in project.el
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 06:31:32 -0500

What is the rationale for having both cl-defgeneric and random funcall
in project.el?

For example, 'project-search-path' is a cl-defgeneric, which means the
various backends (elisp, etags, eventually Ada mode) can override it
with cl-defmethod.

But the default method uses 'project-search-path-function', which
elisp-mode sets to `elisp-search-function'; elisp.el does not use
cl-defmethod to override project-search-path.

Why do we need both dispatching methods?

I suggest this rationale be documented in the Commentary section of the
project.el header comment.

--
-- Stephe