Re: cl-defgeneric vs random funcall in project.el

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: cl-defgeneric vs random funcall in project.el
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 03:37:58 +0300

On 07/31/2015 02:33 AM, Stephen Leake wrote:

If the elisp project backend just used load-path as project-search-path,
what desired functionality would you lose?

xref-find-references won't search inside the current project root.

That's about all project-search-path is currently used for, but hopefully other uses will crop up in the future. They would fail similarly.

You have talked about limiting xref-find-regexp to some subset of the
files that are visible thru load-path; can you give a concrete
use case for that?

Maybe if we have project-find-regexp-in-roots, it will only search inside project-roots. And project-find-regexp will search inside roots + search-path. It's unrelated to the issue above.

Well, we obviously disagree; every project manager _I've_ worked with
already produces a flat list.

I've addressed that in the other message, I think.

I don't understand why you are so dead set against supporting those
project managers.

One might call "always recursing" the "modern" mindset. For instance, when calling Ag (a popular recent re-implementation of Grep), you have to make extra effort *not* to recurse. There no corresponding option, even.

As long as I have the ability to override sufficient project and xref
features so I can write backends for the project managers I use, I'm ok.
It would be nice if more of the utilities were able to handle flat
paths, but I can always re-implement them.

I hope you'll consider whether recursing is too harmful, in each case.

We won't be able to use rgrep on the resulting directories,

You can use grep; what's wrong with that?

Not "rgrep". Instead of calling find constructed command-line arguments once and collecting results, you'll have to call grep for each directory you're interested in. And instead of find+grep, one could use Ag.

but we'd still have to handle ignored files.

That's no harder with a flat path than with a recursive path.

I'm sure it'll be more involved than the current implementation of xref--rgrep-command.