Re: text-quoting-style

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: text-quoting-style
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 00:06:05 -0700

Stefan Monnier wrote:
Why do we need text-quoting-style?
[ I understand that some terminals can't display those curly quotes, but
   that should be handled by some kind of display-table trick.  ]

As I understand it, Alan introduced text-quoting-style because he did not want curved quotes in any buffer or string, even curved quotes displayed as grave accent and apostrophe.

It would simplify things somewhat to remove the text-quoting-style variable, and to have Emacs behave as it does now when text-quoting-style is nil: namely, generate curved quotes in buffers and strings if displayable, and generate grave accent and apostrophe otherwise. That should suffice for Alan's preferences, as he can run Emacs in an environment where curved quotes aren't displayable, e.g., with LC_ALL=C in the environment.

It sounds like you may be thinking of something even simpler, though: namely, always generate curved quotes in strings and buffers, but display them as grave accent and apostrophe if curved quotes are not displayable. I'd prefer that approach too, though I expect Alan would not (otherwise why introduce text-quoting-style?).