Re: text-quoting-style

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: text-quoting-style
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 10:37:42 +0300

> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 00:06:05 -0700
>
> It would simplify things somewhat to remove the text-quoting-style variable,
> and
> to have Emacs behave as it does now when text-quoting-style is nil: namely,
> generate curved quotes in buffers and strings if displayable, and generate
> grave
> accent and apostrophe otherwise.  That should suffice for Alan's preferences,
> as
> he can run Emacs in an environment where curved quotes aren't displayable,
> e.g.,
> with LC_ALL=C in the environment.

Telling people who don't see the Unicode quotes to run under LC_ALL=C
is not a good idea, for at least two reasons:

  . on platforms that honor LC_ALL in the environment, it will disable
    many useful Emacs features unrelated to the issue at hand

  . on platforms that don't honor LC_ALL in the environment (Windows),
    it won't have any effect

> It sounds like you may be thinking of something even simpler, though: namely,
> always generate curved quotes in strings and buffers, but display them as
> grave
> accent and apostrophe if curved quotes are not displayable.  I'd prefer that
> approach too, though I expect Alan would not (otherwise why introduce
> text-quoting-style?).

Given the controversy this generated, and few distinct flavors of what
people like or dislike about it, I think it's only prudent to have
this customizable.  Once Emacs 25 is released, we can see from user
feedback more clearly where do winds blow, and then decide whether
this option should be kept or modified in some sense.