Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ffb6ce 5/5: Quoting fixes in lisp/internationa

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ffb6ce 5/5: Quoting fixes in lisp/international and lisp/leim
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2015 14:22:15 +0300

On 09/03/2015 01:16 PM, Oleh Krehel wrote:

Like you said, any escaping syntax spells death for cut&paste.

Cut and paste can still work: just add a `quote-last-yank' command and/or
`quote-region' command.

But it's not always that you'll want to quote the pasted string, is it?

An issue that I have with \\= escaping syntax is that it's ugly.

It looks a bit odd, but we're unlikely to get rid of it, since it's been supported for ages.

     This variable is used when the function `auto-insert' is called, e.g.
     when you do ``(add-hook 'find-file-hook 'auto-insert)''.

Looks fine to me.

Note how ``(add-hook 'find-file-hook 'auto-insert)'' looks good enough
even in plain text form, with no extra highlighting. Much better than
(add-hook \\='find-file-hook \\='auto-insert).

I think both options looks readable enough, but let's have two syntaxes if people find it that easier.

For code blocks, we could use an empty line followed by 4 spaces indent.

Yup. Although we might catch some false positives that way.

I think there's value in having asymmetric delimiters, since that eases
the job of font-lock by a lot.

Either way, it would be weird to quote symbol references with ` ', but use `` `` for code expressions.