Re: RCS, again: another removed functionality: undo last-checkin

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: RCS, again: another removed functionality: undo last-checkin
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 05:27:37 +0300

On 09/23/2015 08:33 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
Yes, M-x vc-commit RET should definitely ignore the "up to date" status.
By vc-commit, do you mean vc-next-action, or a new command?

Nowadays (as in "with modern VCS"), vc-next-action can't do much
beside commit, and `vc-next-action' is also the only command which
can do "commit".

It also performs that weird step: "If every file in the VC fileset is not registered for version control, register the fileset (but don't commit)", aborting if some of the files in the fileset are unregistered and others are registered.

It would make sense to remove it (and commit all selected files), but it would be nice to know what prompted its existence in the first place.

This could also be dropped (we have a separate command for it):

"For a centralized version control system, if any work file in the VC fileset is out of date, offer to update the fileset."

So, yes, I mean a new command (which should mostly supercede
vc-next-action).

The section dedicated to "For old-style locking-based version control systems" in vc-next-action's docstring is more convoluted. As long as we're dedicated to supporting them, I'm not sure what change would be appropriate.