Re: RCS, again: another removed functionality: undo last-checkin

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: RCS, again: another removed functionality: undo last-checkin
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2015 23:13:23 +0300

On 10/01/2015 10:54 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

That's a very distant possibility.  In general, most features are only
very loosely coupled, so the complexity increases very slowly,
certainly sub-linearly.  I don't see why we should be afraid of this
happening any time soon.

We can disregard orthogonal features, but with related features, complexity increases combinatorially.

If it requires more time, then the situation with the existing
front-end is not too bad.  When it's really bad, forking a new
front-end should be much easier.

The amount of work required for that option is independent of the situation with the existing front-end. If anything, it would be the reverse: the worse the current solution is, the more work needed to re-implement it.

We should try not to make unfortunate decisions.

We made them before, and we'll do them again.

It also assumes that the set of backend commands can be static without
incurring any cost.

For old back-ends that no longer see significant development,
definitely.

VC doesn't consist solely of backends.

Yes, because someone else needs to change ;-)

Humans can forget the previous workflow after switching to the new one, and the complexity of the new "muscle memory network" can remain on the same order as the previous one.