Re: New maintainer

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: New maintainer
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 17:21:01 -0400

John,

> If the experience is great on GNU systems, but awful on OS X,
> I'll see this as meaning that changes needing to be made. Conversely, I won't
> notice degradation on GNU systems owing to cross-platform changes, and would
> require those using such systems to inform me.

Do you consider downstream projects a legitimate way of providing that
experience on the basis of GPL principles without diluting the overall mission
of the FSF and the GNU project?

By providing support and stability, the upstream project (Emacs) can foster an
ecosystem that is ultimately a good advertisement to free software.  Downstream
projects can reach a wider audience than the GNU-only system can, and they can
incorporate libraries and functionalities that the upstream project is
unwilling to adopt for philosophical reasons.  With the right relationship to
these projects, some improvements can also be ported back and thus benefit
everybody.