Re: master 069a0e4: Sync with soap-client repository, version 3.0.0

From: Thomas Fitzsimmons
Subject: Re: master 069a0e4: Sync with soap-client repository, version 3.0.0
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 16:25:26 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Thomas Fitzsimmons <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 00:25:43 -0400
>> Cc: address@hidden
>>
>> To reduce tedium and precisely represent authorship and history within
>> the Emacs repository, maybe it would make sense to add emacs-soap-client
>> as a Git subtree, like GNU Elpa allows for externally-hosted projects.
>> Is that an option for the main Emacs Git repository?
>
> We need to be able to produce a ChangeLog from the Git commit log, see
> ChangeLog.2.  That is why Glenn requested to include proper commit
> logs when merging.
>
> I see that you maintain a ChangeLog file in the repository.  Can't you
> simply copy that into the merge commit log, after deleting the
> date-and-name headers?  That would go a long way towards solving the
> issue without undue hardships for you, I think.

Yes, history and authorship will still be squashed together, but I guess
it will satisfy Emacs ChangeLog generation.

What I'll do this time is sync 3.0.1, with just the homepage change, but
put the giant 3.0.0 ChangeLog contents into the 3.0.1 sync commit log.
The history will be a little out of sync with the git changes, but at
least all the 3.0.0 changes will actually be reflected in the Emacs
ChangeLog (this is in lieu of fixing the 3.0.0 sync commit message,
which is immutable history now).

And I'll add:

Co-authored-by: Alexandru Harsanyi <address@hidden>

to the new commit message.  Is that an acceptable recovery plan for the
3.0.0 information?

Thomas