Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 29c360e: Ensure redisplay after "C-x C-e"

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 29c360e: Ensure redisplay after "C-x C-e"
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2015 17:30:56 +0200

> Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 14:53:01 +0000
> From: Artur Malabarba <address@hidden>
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, emacs-devel <address@hidden>
>
> > "C-x C-e"
>
> C-x C-e is not the only way to evaluate arbitrary lisp code, there are
> plenty of others (eval-buffer, eval-region, eval-defun,
> eval-expression, etc).

Does any of them cause the problem I tried to fix?  IOW, if any of
these include the form (setq line-spacing 1.0), does evaluating it
fail to redraw the selected window with the new line-spacing?

> Sounds odd to single out eval-last-sexp here.

I singled it out because it was the only situation I saw where the
evaluation had no effect.

> Wouldn't it be better to redisplay more aggressively? Maybe ensure
> that the calling the `eval` function always causes a redisplay after
> the command-loop?

The problem here was not to call redisplay -- it is always entered
after Emacs finishes running the last command, in this case "C-x C-e".
The problem was to tell redisplay it should consider redrawing the
selected window even though no change happened in the buffer displayed
in that window.