Re: kqueue in Emacs 25.1?

From: Wolfgang Jenkner
Subject: Re: kqueue in Emacs 25.1?
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 14:00:38 +0100

On Fri, Nov 13 2015, Michael Albinus wrote:

> Do you know a *BSD VM I could download? It shall be prepared to compile
> and run Emacs; I don't know too much how to install a proper environment
> for Emacs under *BSD.

The official FreeBSD VM images contain a complete base system, including
a working (clang) toolchain, see

https://www.freebsd.org/where.html

I'd suggest one of

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/VM-IMAGES/10.2-RELEASE/amd64/Latest/

see

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/VM-IMAGES/README.txt

(I've just tried the .raw disk image under qemu and compiled a simple
hello world program, which works fine.  Also, storage is persistent in
this case, i.e., the test program was still there after rebooting the
VM.)

Almost everything should be there to compile a non-X emacs from source,
with the exception of GNU make (gmake) and pkg-config (actually pkgconf,
a compatible replacement without glib dependency).

If you can bring up the network in the emulator (with DHCP everything
should be automatic), `pkg install gmake pkgconf' should do the trick.

Mounting ext2fs loopback (in GNU/Linux parlance) disk images should also
work r/w.

For any questions, please feel free to email me (I think they would be
slightly off topic for the list...).

Wolfgang