Re: as the accident occued... long lines in emacs buffers.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: as the accident occued... long lines in emacs buffers.
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 17:33:42 +0100

Alin Soare <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Emacs Devel.
>
> I have just sent on emacs devel a message that was destinated elsewhere.
>
> Because the accident occurred, I want to remember you that I intend to
> solve the issue of long lines in emacs, by replacing the linear buffer
> with red-black trees that keep the lines.
>
> This will make emacs work incredible fast with long lines.

I'll settle for "as fast as one would expect given its behavior on short
lines".  The negation of "incredibly slow" (which describes our current
behavior in some situations) is merely "credibly fast".

If you can get there in a useful and maintainable manner (which probably
means condensing the points of complexity to a confined part of the code
which can then explain its working with suitable comments), you'll
certainly gain the applause of a lot of users and developers.

--
David Kastrup