Re: make change-history on non-master branches

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: make change-history on non-master branches
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 23:11:39 -0800

Glenn Morris wrote:
Why does 'make change-history' refuse to run on non-master branches?
It's going to need to be run on the emacs-25 branch, isn't it?

'make change-history' refuses to run on non-master branches because I thought there would be problems if people ran it on their own branches. Feel free to remove that check if you want to deal with the fallout.

(It seems to me that it would be simpler if the corrections to commit
logs were versioned, not the whole generated ChangeLog; but I've said
that before.)

That's what coreutils does. Only one person uses that facility, which is hard to use, and my impression is that nobody else understands how it works.